Take one step into the Staten Island Community Center…

By Michael Pruglo Take one step into the Staten Island Community Center and Islander’s Kids Learning Day Care Center and you immediately sense something different about this place. There is a mixture of home, community, organization, and belonging all at once. It is difficult to even tell that the entire community was struck by Super…

Death in the Boxing Ring

By Ilya Galak Interview with Sergei Artemiev Boxing is big money.  Boxing is fame.  Boxing is a spectacle. That is why it attracts such overwhelming attention, while touching the interests of so many – bread and circuses.  Perhaps, that is why not everything that happens in professional boxing finds adequate evaluation. In fact, the events…

Leonid Markman: Our first problem is taxes

Interview as part of the “Made in United States” project By Ilya Galak Leonid Markman – founder and CEO of the skin care company Nature Pure Labs, was born in 1960 in the former Soviet Union. In 1988 he graduated from the Belarusian State Technological University. He migrated to the U.S in 1991, and as…

A Nation of Pill – Takers

By Ilya Galak and Alan Galak Why is it that our Nation is stricken time and time again with mass shootings? What can be done to counter and prevent future tragedies? In that discussion two central issues arise: gun control and mental health. I won’t touch the issue of guns here; instead I want to…

Song of the Murdered

By Frank Santarpia and Ilya Galak From Elie Wiesel, Night (New York: Bantam, 1982), p. 32. This quote also appears in the Permanent Exhibition of the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum: Never shall I forget that night, the first night in camp, which has turned my life into one long night, seven times cursed and…